Holiday Travel Tips for Fort McMurray and Wood Buffalo
Traveling during the holidays is something many people do. Whether you're driving or flying, it's important to make sure you get to your destination on time and safely. This time of year is well-known for bad weather causing delays. Here are some tips to make your holiday travel go smoothly.
- Make sure to plan an alternative route in case something happens.
- Pack an emergency kit with everything you will need if you get stuck in the snow.
- Plan a little extra money in case you need to get a hotel room overnight.
- Leave early and arrive before Christmas.
- Check your tires and oil before leaving for your journey.
- Plan extra time just in case the weather slows down traffic.
- Check for construction before planning your route.
- Arrive at the airport early and expect security lines to be very long.
- Pack an extra set of clothes and something to keep you busy in your carry on, in case your flight is delayed.
- Plan extra money in case of a delay or cancellation. You may need to pay for meals at the airport.
- Ship gifts instead of checking them in luggage.
- Make sure your cell phone is fully charged and pack a charger or extra battery.
- Keep those you are traveling to, informed of your progress whenever possible.
- Pack vitamins and cold medicine in case you get stuck in the airport. This can cause you to get sick.
These are just a few tips to help you with your holiday travels. If possible, avoid traveling too close to Christmas. However, if you have yet to book a flight, the day before Christmas and the day after are usually less expensive than other days, especially when it comes to last minute travel.